Home Forums Cabinet Restoration Asbestos in Radios Re: Asbestos in Radios

#1225
Gerry O’Hara
Keymaster

An update to my notes on the presence of asbestos in vintage radios. I am restoring the power supply/audio output cahssis of GE J-125 12 tube set for the SPARC museum. On finding an open-circuit inter-stage transformer, I opened-up the can containing both the inter-stage and output traasformers. To my horror the can was stuffed full of white asbestos – see the photos below. I quickly donned my half-face respirator and carefully removed the asbestos into a sealable plastic bag for disposal, vacuuming the final few fibers away before wiping all surfaces down with a damp cloth (also disposed of). The transformer assembly was re-built and assembled without the asbestos packing. So why was the asbestos in there? – I can only suppose it was placed in there to absorb vibration – surely the heat-lagging properties would have tended to allow the transformers to over-heat? – so why use it? (mind you, just about everything seemed to have used asbestos in the first half of the twentieth century…a ubiquitous ‘cheap and fearful’ filler).

Take care,

Gerry

Download DSC00050 [1024×768].JPG. (Caution: This file may not be virus scanned.)

Download DSC00048 [1024×768].JPG. (Caution: This file may not be virus scanned.)

Download DSC00047 [1024×768].JPG. (Caution: This file may not be virus scanned.)

Download DSC00054 [1024×768].JPG. (Caution: This file may not be virus scanned.)